|Paul Mersereau joined with John Drew to form Drew & Mersereau, P.C. in 1989 after practicing with Reid & Reige, P.C. for 25 years. With 45 years of professional experience, Paul practices primarily in the areas of estate planning, trust administration, estate settlement and business planning. Paul has been counsel in many successful change of trustee cases throughout the state for both private and charitable trusts, including the successful seminal case in 2001 that rose to the Connecticut Supreme Court in 2003 (Fleet National Bank’s Appeal From Probate, 267 Conn. 229). Paul is the father of six children and has lived in Avon for over twenty years.
Awards and Achievements
- AV Preeminent® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell. AV Preeminent® is a significant rating accomplishment – a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence. Click here to see an explanation of the Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™.
- Recognized by his peers as Connecticut Super Lawyer in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016. Click here to see the selection process used by Super Lawyers®.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Trusts and Estates in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016. Click here to see the selection process used by The Best Lawyers in America©.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow, 1981 – Present
- Estate and Business Planning Council of Hartford, President, 1983 – 1984
- Hartford Hospital
Corporator for over 25 years
Member of Development Committee
- First Tee of Connecticut, Secretary, Director, Member of Executive Committee
- YMCA of Metropolitan Greater Hartford, Trustee
- Hartford Golf Club
President, 1991 – 1992
- U.S. Golf Association, Committee Member
- Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews
Prior Community Activities
- Past President of Greater Hartford United Way
- Past President of Greater Hartford Combined Health Appeal
- Past Director of Urban League of Hartford.
- Estate Planning
- Trust Administration
- Estate & Gift Taxation
- Estate Settlement
- Business Law
- Corporate Law
- Charitable Giving
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Harvard University, J.D., 1964
- Williams College, B.A., cum laude, 1961